Thursday, December 28, 2006

Remember me telling you about how wonderful my parents are? Well they’re even better than I thought. They won’t accept thank you notes, so I’m going to post my gratitude here for all the world to see! Christmas day they showered us with gifts, as usual. But about half way through dinner they insisted that we all stop eating because they couldn’t wait for us to open our last packages. We then proceeded to unwrap what was one of the most incredible gifts I’ve ever received. They gave us (or rather, me) a treasured bracelet. It's an object so special to them that at first I couldn’t even imagine accepting it. We tried to give it back, but my parents were positively giddy about the idea of relinquishing it. They continued to insist that they would enjoy it more if we owned it than if they did. My brother-in-law was actually convinced that my parents must be dying – why else would they be willing to give something like this up? The answer is that they are truly the most generous people I have ever known. I feel downright miserly in comparison. Their treasure is in heaven and they ACT like it. For me it was so convicting to see how lightly they hold onto the things of this world, and how much joy they found in the pleasure of others. I’ve been challenged lately about what it means to be a joyful giver, and specifically what it means to send your treasure on ahead, through a little book I would highly recommend called The Treasure Principle by Randy Alcorn. I am blessed, though, to not just own a great book on the subject, but to have two living examples not 3 miles away! So thanks Mom and Dad. Not just for my exquisite gift, but for your lives.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mom and Dad say...a small trinket is no comparison to the joy we have in knowing our children walk in truth. You write so beautifully--we sound far more noble than we deserve. But, hey, these other folks reading have no idea we're mere mortals, so keep writing,dear daughter!!! We are blessed beyond measure by your life, your love and your Lord whom we desire to honor together. Love, Mom and Dad

Rachel said...

What a wonderful gift you received...both the bracelet and your parents. ;-)

www.beyond blessed.com said...

I wanted to thank you for your sweet words on the discussion forum. I will do my best to see Reagan, give her a hug and tell her about the awesome family and GRANDPARENTS she has anxiously waiting for her!