Wednesday, March 30, 2011

It just feels like I've been blogging


Though I haven't actually posted anything in a while, my blog and I have been spending a lot of time together.  Since I'm not into scrapbooking, journaling, or any other means of documenting our family life, I publish my blog each year in the form of a book.  The first year my mom did it for me as an incredible Christmas gift.  She painstakingly arranged it, had it printed, and then bound by a real publisher.  It's beautiful.  Since then, I've done it myself using Blurb.  The result is less professional than that first book, but considerably easier. It works and looks a lot like Shutterfly or other photobook sites, with the added advantage of "slurping" the text, photos, and even comments from blogs almost automatically.  They don't offer a lot of pretty backgrounds or papers, but I think the plain black and white format I used highlights the content well.  It's also relatively inexpensive compared to other sites.  My latest photo-heavy creation was $70 with shipping for 130 pages.   The FedEx guy delivered it yesterday and I'm thrilled to have my little "journal" sitting on my table top - not just my laptop.  So now you know where I've been.  Don't you think you need one too?! 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's a treasure--for you, now, and your children, always. I'm so glad your great writing--and hard work--will be enjoyed long after it ends up in the archives on your blog. Love, Mom

Leigh said...

I SO need to do my old blog!! I know you say it is easy, but everytime I look at it, I just get overwhelmed and quit! Good for you though! Perhaps I'll do my mine by the time you do your next year. LOL.

By the Brook said...

Such a brilliant idea. We get so many compliments on the book you guys had made for us.