Thursday, August 14, 2008

All grown up

Or so she thinks.


First grade started today and Alyssa is in heaven! She nearly sprinted to the gate this morning and chatted incessantly about it during that short interval between picking her up and crashing into bed from sheer exhaustion. Blessed mom that I am, all three kids still take a good nap in the afternoon, so this new full-day schedule is going to throw a wrench into our routine. Parker and Alyssa will be okay (I think) waiting until 2:45, but poor Reagan passed out three times in the car while we were running errands, and then didn't have enough sleepiness in her when we got home to go down with the big kids. Just what is a mom to do when pick-up time is smack dab in the middle of nap time? Any ideas? I'm sure we'll figure out a new routine soon enough, but pray that it will include at least a little time each day to myself. Enough complaining though! On a more positive note, Alyssa's teacher seems great - very experienced, friendly, authoritative, and anxious to include parents in the classroom. I also find that I'm making friends! We already know 7 other families with first-graders at her school (that's about 7 more than last year), and they all speak English! There's still a great variety of cultures (including a couple of Asians - yeah for Reagan!), but I can actually communicate with the other parents. The pick-up spot is at the park adjacent to her school, so I think Parker, Reagan and I will really enjoy playing at the playground and socializing a little. I do miss summer, but I guess the start of school isn't all bad,

3 comments:

Dania Efird said...

It was a big adjustment for us when Xavier started school. Lunchtime, naptime, snack time, dinner time, all had to be rearranged. The new schedule will come along naturally! You'll get the hang of it!

lmngirls said...

Oh my word, I can't believe you have a daughter in 1st grade already! I talked with Sandhya yesterday and she told me she found your blog, so I tracked you down. Your kids are adorable, all 3, what fun. I'm glad to see you're all doing so well. I'll have to check in from time to time, I'm a total blog stalker. I love it!
Christina Leaman

Jessica said...

Your kids are so cute. I had to take a double take though. Reagan looks a LOT like my emaline in these pictures!