Thursday, May 14, 2009

Gotcha!

Two years ago, half a world away, the little girl sleeping upstairs became my baby. Or maybe more accurately, over the past two years, on this side of the world, that baby has become mine. On May 15th, 2007 Ho Thi Thao Van was legally made our daughter. But she didn’t yet feel like ours. Not that we had any real bonding issues - from the first moment on, Reagan seemed to like us. By God’s grace and lots of prayer, she fit quite seamlessly into our family. I loved her then. But I know her now. Now she’s more than just a picture or some legal documents sent in an e-mail. Reagan is more than the little bundle placed in my arms on that Mother’s Day. She’s not just a child, she’s mine, with all the accompanying affection, frustrations, laughs, tears, and makes-your-heart-want-to-burst pride in the girl she is becoming. When I really think about it, it boggles my mind how God selected her to be a part of our family. But mostly I don’t think about it at all. She is a natural part of us, even though the means He used was not nature. I often forget that we don’t “match.” Usually I just thank God for the three incredible little bodies He has allowed me to mother, and rejoice in the family He has made us. Happy Gotcha Day baby girl!

5 comments:

M or J said...

What a precious post. Thanks for sharing. I hope one day we can celebrate a "gotcha" day! Praise the Lord for his incredible work in bringing her from all the way around the world into your loving home.

Julie said...

Happy Gotcha Day!!!

I'm partial to those NT babies :-)

Lisa Spence said...

She is so beautiful! Happy Gotcha Day!!!!

Anonymous said...

And how fun that today is Peter and Emily's "gotcha" day also!! We love you Reagan and I miss you too. Have a grand week in PS. Love Gaga

Anonymous said...

Happy Gotcha Day!! I just can't believe how fast the two years have gone.