Sunday, January 04, 2009

So you like my book?

It seems that I'm not the only one impressed with my mother's handiwork. I've received so many e-mails and comments asking about how she did it that I thought I'd post it here. (Prepare to be bored if you're not a blogger...).
Her first step in what sounds like a very labor-intensive process was to turn each post into a Word document. She then tried printing it at home, but found that her printer didn't yield the best results. So, she took it on CD to Kinko's where they printed it with a laser printer and cut it to the appropriate size. Then she mailed the printed text to Smith Printing, a publishing company she found online, for binding. According to my mom they were very nice to work with and apparently could have printed it as well. There are other sites out there that help you self-publish (Blurb is the one I'm a little bit familiar with) but they don't interact with Blogger or Wordpress anymore. Blurb books seem to look more like a digital scrapbook than a bound book, but perhaps would be a quicker process, even just using their manual input function. Through it all, the book turned out beautifully - though I think only a mom would invest that much time, effort and money into publishing writing of this quality. Just reinforces my conviction that I have best mother around!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was a brilliant idea- yes your mom is great!

Anonymous said...

Thou dost exaggerate...'Twas but a few moments of joy spent reading again the goings on of my precious MBG's.

Anonymous said...

You don't know me--I just happened upon your adorable blog. That is such a fabulous idea!!!

Your kids are beautiful! I have one little adopted boy as well! Adoption is a miracle!


I also just wanted to share the word about this free blog makeover contest going on right now. Go here to enter: www.designerblogsbyerin.blogspot.com. Not that you need one...I just wanted to spread the word! :)

Cherie Baker Vann said...

wow laura, your mom rocks! what an amazing gift!!! happiest of new years to you guys!!