Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Day 12 of Thanks

I'm thankful today for my Mom Jobs. My full-time, nearly-all-consuming, better-than-I-could-have-dreamed-of job is that of wife and mother. I love to be home. I can't imagine working outside the home every day, or even every-other day. I don't know how women who try to juggle both a family and outside employment do it... I think I'd be miserable! But, I have to admit that I occassionally enjoy occupying my mind with something other than diapers, laundry, dinner and 1st grade homework. Enter... my Mom Jobs! 26 evenings a year I have the priviledge of teaching accounting classes at a local college. I know you're all jealous - don't you wish you could immerse yourself in such an exciting topic? But I actually enjoy the logic of it and the challenge of making it easy to understand. Years ago, as I was facing college graduation myself without a ring on my finger, this was the number 2 occupation on my list. I never dreamed I'd get to do #1 and #2 at the same time!
My second Mom Job is not one I ever thought I would like, but actually love! For 8 weeks each tax season I get to spend 10 hours a week of the kids' nap time helping prepare tax returns for pastors and missionaries around the country and around the world. Again, maybe not your typical definition of fun, but I see each return as a puzzle requiring logic, knowledge, and strategy. A little extra spending money is fun too, though both jobs fall somewhere in between charity and actual employment in that regard. As the chair of my department at the college says, this is not the road to independent wealth. However, both jobs give me the opportunity use the unique skills God has given me to support two institutions committed to the proclaimation of the Truth. The best part of all? Neither job interferes with my favorite job of all - Mom!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think that's great you can use your college-earned skills ... especially cool the way you are able to serve missionaries and others in the church with your gifts!